Lesson 3: Sexual Reproduction
- Teach Me Cell Meiosis: Once again, a video and a song never fail to engage students. This video linked will have students giggle (and they may just pay attention!)
- You could have students create their own quick 1-minute rap about a certain phase of meiosis to share with the rest of the class as a fun activity.
- Discussion Meiosis: A lesson on which cells undergo meiosis and a discussion of the difference between asexual reproduction and sexual reproduction. One of phases of meiosis are discussed, it is good to make comparisons to the whether cells are haploid or diploid and at which phases.
- Discussion of why the egg and sperm are different sizes. Discuss the investment the sperm has compared to the egg along and how that relates to size vs. amount available. The egg will be investing the most energy into raising the offspring. Also, students should be reminded that sperm are swimming quickly (need to be smaller) and the egg is the "target" (should be bigger).
- Chromosome Card Game: See the attached file for a game to consolidate meiosis. Students must test their knowledge of the phases by matching three of a kind (phase name, description, picture) and reaching for a spoon before any other player does. The last student to grab a spoon loses the round. The game can be varied.
- Homework worksheet: Compare Mitosis and Meiosis. The linked file is a worksheet for students to do as a homework assignment to consolidate their understanding of meiosis.
- Gathering information from video and being prepared to discuss and make connections to mitosis
- Meiosis Tutorial and Test Yourself
- Compare Mitosis and Meiosis worksheet (homework)